Wednesday, January 14, 2009

On Topic

Writing:
I am pondering a new project, brainstorming scenes, sketching characters and enjoying myself - so far. Yes, I know the main character needs a name.

Reading:
Sam said that while his English class is reading Heart of Darkness, he welcomes homework interruptions of all kinds, even requests to shovel the driveway.

Math:
Sam is taking an Advanced Placement calculus class online. I emailed the distance learning institution several times to request the bill. They responded that it would be sent later. I worried that if we never paid, Sam wouldn't get credit for the course. They finally sent the bill; I paid it. We are no longer stealing a calculus class.

Science:
Jeremy's science book states that ATP (adenosine triphosphate) is the most important biological molecule. My husband wondered why they wanted the kids to memorize that little fact because there are at least 500 molecules required for life. I responded that cyanide poisoning is almost instantaneous, and since it works by inhibiting electron transport and thus the production of ATP, organisms die quickest without ATP. Oxygen deprivation takes longer to snuff out the test subject. Then, my husband reminded me that anaerobic bacteria need no oxygen, but do require ATP. That settles it ATP is the most important biological molecule. We agree that Mg+2* is the most important biological ion.

*Again, Blogger thwarts my desire to use superscripts.

No comments: