Sunday, January 18, 2009

Bog Child


Bog Child


David Fickling Books (division of Random House), 2008




I am intrigued by dual story novels. When written well, the two plot lines are synergistic; each enhances the other, yet carries its own weight. The stories should shift back and forth like a holographic image. Bog Child is one of the best dual story novels I've read.

The main story takes place in Ireland in 1981 near the north-south border where political unrest affects every aspect of life. 18-year old Fergus hopes to escape the violence and turmoil of Northern Ireland, yet he is pulled inexorably into the fray.
The second story occurred in the Iron Age (80 AD). Fergus, when illegally digging peat with his uncle, discovers the body of a child, who lived nearly 2000 years earlier. The story of Mel, the bog child, is told through Fergus’ dreams, but this is not another prophetic-dream-sequence novel. The dreams seem like those a teenage boy might have after discovering a body, and he doesn’t always remember them. Mel’s story is beautifully told, yet spare, reflecting the limited amount we can know about people who lived so long ago.

I highly recommend Bog Child. Click here for a detailed review.

1 comment:

TimInMich said...

Now I remember why "Bog Child" sounded familiar. I read Siobhan Dowd's "The London Eye Mystery" and quite liked it. When looking for more of her work, I read about "Bog Child" and "A Swift Pure Cry." Neither one appealed to me. But I will give Bog Child a try now. (But not Swift Pure!)
I was saddened to learn that Dowd died in August of 2007. Bog Child was published after that. "Solace of the Road" was supposed to be published this month, but has been pushed back to October. -- Tim