Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The Dangers of Being Marooned on a Tropical Island

For Jeremy’s current book report, I recommended an action-fantasy novel that I had read and enjoyed a few years ago. He’s having a hard time making progress, so I opened the book and read a bit.

At Jeremy’s bookmark, our heroes are on a transoceanic voyage. They have been attacked by pirates and their ship was damaged by a storm. (So far, so good.) Then they found refuge on a tropical island, where both our heroes and the plot became marooned. Sure the heroes are repairing the ship and pushing back the frontiers of natural science, but other than that nothing is happening. They while away the pages with snappy banter.

Snappy banter isn’t all bad. I find that in early drafts of my manuscripts, letting my characters talk to each other is a good way for me to get to know them. But then a lot of it has to go. I recently cut 10,000 words of snappy banter from my WIP.

I’m trying to decide on a new writing project, and I’m leaning toward the idea that has more potential for action.

Photo from Getty Images.

No comments: