Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Writing Retreat

When you think of a writing retreat, perhaps you envision peace and quiet, a respite from the responsibilities of family and work. Maybe you see long stretches of uninterrupted creative time, solving thorny plot problems and finding new insights into characters. You might imagine time with good friends, belly laughs and shared ideas. Or does the idea of a writing retreat summon fears of having nothing to say?

The retreat I just left was wonderful. I worked hard on revisions and made good progress. There is something about sitting across the table from another hard-working writer that keeps me on task. I solved some problems with my WIP and discovered other issues that need to be fixed. I enjoyed the time with great friends. Thankfully, writer’s block left me alone.

This was my fifth writing retreat and the third with my awesome critique group. It occurred to me I have never done new writing at a retreat. I always spend the time revising. Okay, my process involves lots of revision, but still …

Maybe next year.

2 comments:

gwen morrison said...

Hi Ann! I couldn't find your contact info, but would love it if you would consider writing a guest blog for us. We are launching our first writers retreat in October. They will run 4 times a year (all by the water!). The benefits of writing retreats are countless and we'd love to have you share your thoughts with us!

Learn more about our retreats here: http://www.writebythewater.com

Ann Finkelstein said...

Gwen:
I'd love to write a guest post for your blog. I added contact info, so you can reach me there. Thanks!