Friday, April 10, 2009

Spring Break

Lately, I've been having a problem with manuscript fidelity. Usually, I cuddle up with my WIP, and stick with it until submissions do us part. This past week, I couldn't seem to decide which manuscript was my heart's desire.

Last Monday, I posted that I was putting aside TAoCBS. I started an exciting new affair with DB. I adored the protagonist of DB for at least a couple chapters. Then, alas, TAoCBS started looking better. I remembered its laughter and light-hearted spirit.

In honor of the NCAA playoffs, I revisited G&G, my basketball novel. Perhaps G&G is my true champion.

Fortunately, CBL is off getting a paid critique. Out of sight. Out of mind.

I noticed something important during my wild and crazy spring break. The manuscripts with male protagonists have more action than the ones with female protagonists. Who knew my muse was so sexist?

3 comments:

Amy Huntley said...

I wonder what sex your muse is? Perhaps this accounts for the manuscript infidelity perception? Do male muses feel the need to be less faithful to one manuscript at a time than female muses do? I've never thought about the sex of mine. I think I have multiple muses (and probably of multiple sexes). I guess I should mix it up some. Let the male write female passages, etc.

Ann Finkelstein said...

Amy:
Perhaps my muse is schizophrenic.

Wyman Stewart said...

Although it has been done before, it needs to be done again. Someone needs to write a modern fiction story that depicts all that is now going on with the illegal handling and recruitment of basketball players. Based on my reading of stories on the U. Conn. situation, these abuses have grown far worse than when I decided to stop following basketball in the early 1990s, because I believed there was no college program that could be called honest.

There could be tons of drama in such a fictional work, while one day looking prophetic. Just gathering facts for such a fictional work would probably be an eye-opener. This is not to say there are not coaches and players who are as honest as the times allow, but it may be at the point where ridding basketball and other sports of most of the corruptness, is no longer possible.

Hope you don't mind the suggestion. Sports once did promote real values, whatever shortcomings sports had when I was young. Now, it seems almost hypocritical to believe such a thing. There is a fictional novel in all that somewhere. If anyone is willing to write it and write it right.