Wednesday, November 18, 2009

The Joy of Cooking

I would be remiss if I failed to write about the heavenly food at the Highlights Founders’ Workshop in Honesdale.

Before each meal, Marcia, the chef, would describe each dish with pride, love and absolute joy. She explained the ingredients and seasonings with delight. Marcia clearly loves creating wonderful food and is justifiably proud of her labors.

I was reminded of that first heady rush when an idea for a new novel sparks in my brain. As I plan characters, scheme plot lines, and fall in love with my idea, joy reigns supreme. Sometimes the love of the work gets lost while slogging through revisions, weathering harsh professional critiques or withstanding rejections. But in the end, there is only one reason to write fiction, and that is the joy of creation.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Another reason for me to be jealous about this conference!