Thursday, November 19, 2009

The Heart of the Story

Lately, I’ve been thinking about the pivotal idea inside my manuscripts. This isn’t the theme, the elevator pitch or the query letter summary. The heart of the manuscript is fulcrum on which the plot balances.

Many years ago, I had the great fortune to have a manuscript critiqued by the brilliant Audrey Couloumbis. The story was about two boys who got separated and lost in a thick fog.* The protagonist realizes that if his friend had been with him, the experience would have been fun. Audrey pointed out that this was the heart of my story. If the boys were together, they’d be having an adventure, not a scary experience.

Yesterday, as I was revising CBL, I came across the line, “The final confrontation would be between his reality and mine.” This is the heart of my novel. Yes, I need to have action and excitement, but the mind games are even more important. The plot balances on the relative sanities of the characters.

What is the heart of your story?


* The fogs in California are so thick, we could play hide and seek in them.

3 comments:

Angela Ackerman said...

Hmm. Mine would be the acceptance that sometimes life just isn't fair and you have to deal with what's handed to you instead of falling for the 'easy way out' that doesn't exist.

Good post!

Ann Finkelstein said...

Angela:
Sounds like an interesting novel.

Sometimes I realize that my characters have stated the heart of my story even though I didn't realize what it was when I wrote tht section.

Lori Van Hoesen said...

I love this idea, and it's got me thinking about my novel. The heart might be an inner confrontation between my pro's imagined self and her authentic self. (and realizing there is room for both in their own context).

Thanks for the post!