Friday, July 10, 2009

Mutterings of a Madwoman

TAoCBS is off at summer camp, visiting the homes of my critique group members. Yesterday I had a hilarious conversation with a young man who had seen the manuscript on his mother's desk and was intrigued by the title. He will be in 5th grade next year, and his mother and I agree that TAoCBS (a younger YA novel) is a tad old for him. Just try to talk an articulate, persuasive and intellectual kid out of reading a book. I dare you. My efforts failed so dismally that I'm almost tempted to try this reverse psychology in my next query letter.

I have embarked on an in-depth revision of CBL, focusing on writing style. It's slow going. I've been reading each chapter out loud to check flow and pacing. My sons' friends must hear me mumbling in the bedroom and think I'm wacko.

No comments: