Monday, June 29, 2009

A Few Definitions

meshugas (meh-shi-gaas): A Yiddish word meaning craziness or madness

Michigander (mish-i-gan-der): a native or inhabitant of Michigan, also Michiganian

Michigoslings/Meshugaslings (mish-i-goz-lings): how we refer to our sons who were born and raised in Michigan

Six emails, five administrators, one secure website and two phone calls: what is required to convince a premier Michigan university that one of said Michigoslings deserves in-state tuition

Meshugas!



References:
http://www.yiddishdictionaryonline.com/
http://dictionary.reference.com/

4 comments:

Wyman Stewart said...

Ha! Ha! Ha! Your kid is obviously not an athlete or you would not have this problem. Well, maybe not true if they played a minor sport. Better luck next time, now that all those people know you.

Ann Finkelstein said...

Wyman:
Actually, he is an athlete, although not scholarship material. The problem is he is also a scholar. He took an advanced calculus class online from Oklahoma State University, and somehow the computer scanning program had him listed as a resident of OK.

Wyman Stewart said...

Thank you for further enlightenment. I appreciate that. Please understand, I was attempting to be humorous. I thought you might be talking about the University of Michigan, which is known through the Media for its sports programs, less so for its many brilliant graduates.

I think it is great that your son is taking what I call, the Greek Road, by being both a scholar and an athlete. There is real wisdom in that. Your son sounds like he has a bright future. I wish him well in whatever he chooses to pursue.

Thank you for taking the time to Blog and to reply to my comment. I am a semi-regular visitor.

Ann Finkelstein said...

Wyman:
I did think your comment was funny. I'm sure the moms of football, basketball and hockey players don't have to slice through this tangle of red tape. The university may even know the resident status of baseball and tennis players. :-) I'm trying to convince them that math majors count too. Pun intended.