Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Waiting for the Coup

There is always a point during the first draft when my WIP takes over my brain. The characters hold me hostage, and the plot stages a sit-in in my cerebrum. Even when I’m not writing, I can’t escape. My desk becomes littered with little notes about changes. (Wouldn’t it be orderly to keep them in a notebook or even an envelope?) My chapter headings acquire large graffiti-like markings, “So-and-so has to do such-and-such.”

Sometimes the coup occurs on the first page of chapter one.

Sometimes it doesn’t.

Like now.

Since my brain is not under occupation, there is plenty of room for The Voice of Doubt.

You’re not the person to write this story.
You think you can be funny? Ha!
Is this novel about something?

Yesterday was a good writing day. I started to hear the rumblings of revolution. Maybe the coup is at hand.

4 comments:

Lori Van Hoesen said...

you are the person to write this story Ms. Finkelstein.

And yes, you are raucously funny, no joke.

It's about Bonzo Steel? What more do you need?

<3

Ann Finkelstein said...

Lori, Thanks for cheering me up.

Jacqui said...

I hate the Voice of Doubt. He plagues me constantly. The good news is he plagues everyone constantly.

Ann Finkelstein said...

Jacqui:
I just named The Voice of Doubt today. It helps to separate him from me. Maybe on good days, I'll refer to him as TVoD.