Thursday, May 17, 2012

Banquets, and Concerts, and Tournaments, Oh My


In a few weeks, Jeremy will graduate from high school. There are many evening events with dishes to pass, uniforms to collect and decorations to create. For Sam, it’s tournament season in Taekwondo. In a few weeks, I’ll probably spend much of my 28th wedding anniversary running the electronic scoreboard for a sparring ring.

In between all this, I sent a few queries this week for my spy novel. I need to jump back into the fantasy novel that I put on hold while working on critique comments.   

None of my projects would have been possible without these distractions. My spy novel depends heavily on my first-hand knowledge of Taekwondo. My recently set aside tween novel could not have been written if we did not have a rock band that practices in our basement. Writing my fantasy novel requires that I know about contemporary high school life. It’s all grist for the mill.

1 comment:

Kim Van Sickler said...

So true! We gather ideas for our works and details to bring our works to life from what we observe in the world. If we lived in a vacuum, we'd get so much more done, but it wouldn't resonate with anyone because it wouldn't be real. Thanks for reminding me that everything that takes me away from writing is really research for it!