Thursday, January 12, 2012

Tracking Devices

I’ve been researching spy gear for my WIP with the understanding that products available on the internet may be less sophisticated than models used by real secret service organizations. So far, I’ve gleaned that it’s easy to make tiny cameras and listening devices and hide them in ingenious places. Making a micro-tracking device is more difficult, probably because of the size of the battery. 

The Spark Nano (link removed) is about 2”x3” and intended for use in a vehicle. The smallest tracking devices I’ve found are designed for pet collars.  

The BBC production called Spooks in the UK and MI5 in the US showed tracking devices about 1”x1/4” that could be attached to a lapel or collar. They may exist, but I haven’t found them on the internet. I’ve read (and I can’t remember the book) about tracking devices that were minuscule adhesive discs. I suspect it was a fantasy novel.

4 comments:

Wyman Stewart said...

DARPA has probably created spy gadgets you may or may not have access to, but you can check. Very creative people, DARPA.

Allow me to relate a story I read, which sounds insane, but may not be disinformation put out by our government.

During the Bin Laden hunt, years before they found him, I read a news story claiming we have a satellite in space, capable of listening to ground-based conversations; not simply a cellphone or walkie-talkie style conversation, if the person is out in the open.

I can see drones doing this, but not a satellite. (We do have satellites that can read the brand name on a golf ball from space.) I offer this insanity in case it's real, I wasn't dreaming, and in case you can find a source to confirm it.

Forget what it is called, but the recent outrage over a program installed in most cellphones can probably be considered a spy program, as well. They say the program is quite difficult even for Techies to shut-off.

Computers in your car now track your braking, speed, and various other things? You have the equivalent of a "Blackbox" spy in your car, which insurance companies have used and courts have allowed to be admitted, as evidence for and against a driver. (So much for your right not to testify against yourself!)

Feeling paranoid, so I am headed back to the only safe place left in civilization, my hidden cave. Remember, walls have ears!

Ann Finkelstein said...

Wyman:
Thanks for the DARPA information. I checked their website this morning, but it's going to take more than one cup of coffee for me to understand it.

satellite tracking said...

GPS tracking uses a system of satellites orbiting the earth to find an approximate placement of the receiver within a few meters of its actual location. These systems are known for their accuracy and reliability and can generally give you a precise reading within a few feet of your position.

satellite tracking

dog tracker said...

I don't get this. "I’ve been researching spy gear for my WIP with the understanding that products available on the internet may be less sophisticated than models used by real secret service organizations." Could you please enlighten me on this? I keep following all your posts hope you can regularly post more. I get very useful information here. Thanks for having this.

http://www.zoomroomonline.com/microchips-for-dogs.html