Saturday, August 27, 2011

Update

It’s been a month since the crit group retreat, and I’ve done almost no writing. Yeah, I did some research for a new project until I got stumped with a logical conundrum in the plot. I also submitted a manuscript (SSA) to The Whole NovelWorkshop put on by the Highlights Foundation. To my surprise, it was accepted. I’m excited to be spending a week in Honesdale and looking forward to expert mentorship on my project.

The last month has been a busy time. We traveled to Washington DC then Vancouver for family weddings. I’ve been helping Jeremy with his college applications, and outfitting Sam’s new college apartment. My volunteer responsibilities for the band and choir have been huge. However, this is my last year as a high school mom.

Today I started revising SSA one more time before I have to send it to Carolyn Coman or Stephen Roxburgh for the Whole Novel Workshop. Next week, I must clear several more hours and finish this draft.

4 comments:

Wyman Stewart said...

Not sure this helps, but is life logical? Could two things at odds be plot, subplot? Or could these diverge, one becoming clearly the plot, the other something tangent only; thus it evaporates in the story?

Just trying to suggest, the subconscious writer-brain has given you something more than you realize, which requires out of the box thinking Nothing like bad advice on something so vaguely hinted at. I'll go back to reading corner, now that I've added my bit of ignorance.

Ann Finkelstein said...

Wyman: The main problem I'm having is tying the backstory to the plot without undue coincidence or worn out devices. The idea will come to me eventually. Thanks for your suggestions.

TimInMich said...

Ann, that's fantastic about the Novel Writing Workshop in Honesdale. Congratulations. It should be a super time in many ways. Do you know if there will be people there that you've met at other sessions?
And your last year as a high school mom! How about that! What a change is coming, eh?

Ann Finkelstein said...

Tim: I'm looking forward to the Honesdale workshop. Last time a woman I knew from SCBWI-MI also attended. I don't know if I'll know anyone this time. I'm sure to meet some interesting people.