Thursday, May 6, 2010

The Fixer Upper

Starting round two of novel revisions is like buying a fixer upper. The first step is deciding if the project has potential. Is that lovely view worth the time and effort required to make the house beautiful? Is the concept behind the novel strong enough to raise a meandering tome out of the slush?

The second step is deciding where to start. Probably everyone can agree that the avocado shag carpet or the last scene in chapter 18 have to go, but they may not be the most pressing problems.

Next a plan is required. Before I start reconstruction, I need to know which walls are load-bearing and if pipes and wires are hidden inside them. If I eliminate that subplot, does my antagonist’s character arc fall flat? Are there other places to put those wires, pipes and character developing scenes?

For the time being, I’ll focus on removing enough clutter so the structure is visible. When it’s time to go in with the sledge hammer, I’ll know what to do. The project seems daunting. As the proud new owners of a bargain property once told me, “Every surface of every room needs repair.”

No comments: