Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Mackinac Island

I just returned from SCBWI-MI’s fall conference, “Somewhere in Time,” on Mackinac Island. A huge thank you goes out to all who worked to set up this conference. I’m feeling inspired and motivated. 

My YA fantasy novel, THE WIND DJIN, won second place in the mentorship competition. My pitch for an old trunk novel, GEEK AND CAPTAIN BONZO STEEL, received positive comments from the panel of experts. I couldn't be more thrilled.

I took almost 200 pictures, and I’ll be posting a few of them over the week. Today’s selection includes the bridge that connects Michigan’s upper and lower peninsulas, the ferry and a couple lighthouses. As I sort through the pictures, I’ll post some wildflowers and insects, some dahlias and formal gardens, and butterflies from the butterfly house. Please stay tuned. 


from the ferry

funny effect through a lake water-splattered window

I was fooling around with a very deep depth of field. A different lens would have worked better. 

3 comments:

TimInMich said...

Congratulations on both counts, Ann, the mentorship contest and the Bonzo comments. How wonderful to be inspired and motivated. You've put much hard work into this
And mighty fine photos, too! I think your flies are in focus. I especially like the hoverfly on the white aster.

Ann Finkelstein said...

Thanks, Tim. I appreciate your kind words.
Butterflies tomorrow - maybe in two installments.

Ruth McNally Barshaw said...

Great photos! I particularly love the beach shot, and how the rough sand matches the rough water (or how I remember the water to be -- it was choppy and cold when we ferried across).
Congratulations on positive feedback on your work. Most deserving.