Thursday, September 25, 2014

Mackinac Dahlias

The gardens on Mackinac Island were also an inspiration for me. I don't have the space, sunlight or time to recreate such lavish displays, but I did get some ideas for color combinations for next spring's annuals. One of the B&Bs on Main Street had gorgeous dahlias. 



I don't grow dahlias. In Michigan, the bulbs need to be overwintered inside, and that seems like too much trouble. I am fond of the flowers at least partially because they remind me of Aunt Dahlia from the P.G. Wodehouse stories. 

4 comments:

Buffy Silverman said...

Beautiful shots, especially that third one with its contrasting impossible blue sky.

Ann Finkelstein said...

Thanks Buffy. That blue in the background is actually a sign, not the sky. Still, it's a pretty blue.

TimInMich said...

Dahlias are so lush, so over-the-top! And some, like your first one, look like sea anemones. And you have a reference to Bertie's Aunt Dahlia. Wodehouse rules!

Ann Finkelstein said...

Thanks, Tim. The pics were fun to take.