Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Lazy Person's Reading Group - July Update












It’s the beginning of July, and here’s an update on my Lazy Person’s Reading Group list.
So far, I’ve finished three books. I don’t usually review books on my blog because many other blogs do that so well, but here are my impressions.

1. A book of fiction you've been looking forward to reading.
The Grail Quest series by Bernard Cornwell. (The Archer's Tale, Vagabond, and Heretic). Okay, that's three books, but I am looking forward to them.
Although this novel is not my favorite of the Bernard Cornwell books, I learned a tremendous amount about the beginning of the Hundred Years War, including the capture of La Roche-Derrien, the battle of Crécy and the destruction of Caen.

8. A book that has recently received rave reviews.
I'd Tell You I Love You But Then I'd Have To Kill You by Ally Carter. I see this mentioned everywhere.
This is a fun read about a spy-training academy for that masquerades as an exclusive girls’ boarding school. Carter lures the reader with an intriguing voice then cranks up the tension bit by bit.

11. A book recommended by your hairdresser or barber.
Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. The woman who cuts my hair says this is great.
If you’ve ever dreamed of running away with the circus, read this book. I enjoyed the way the novel shifted between the story of a prohibition-era circus and the current life of the protagonist in an assisted living facility. (Some of the nursing home scenes hit close to home.) I’m not a fan of starting a book at the climax then going back to tell the story, but I’ll forgive that technique this time.



2 comments:

Casey Something said...

I loved I'd Tell You I Love You But Then I'd Have to Kill You. The voice and content of the first page really does draw the reader in.

Ann Finkelstein said...

Casey:
I'm going to try the next two books in that series.