Saturday, June 13, 2009

An Idea

Just when I thought it was safe to declare I'd finished the second draft of TAoCBS, a new idea wormed its way into my brain. It addresses a couple problems with the manuscript, and fits nicely/eerily/amazingly into the rest of the story.

One problem with the manuscript is Troy (our hero) is a bit of a victim. Other characters do mean things to him, and he suffers. But Troy has to fight back, and my new idea provides him with a chance at revenge. Of course his plan will backfire (at least once), and Troy will again suffer. As a protagonist, suffering is Troy's job. If he wanted an easy life, he should have auditioned for a different role.

Another problem is the second draft, at 23,800 words, is almost as scrawny as our hero. While the new idea will not bulk up my manuscript as much as a summer in the weight room, it is a start.

Time to get to work.

1 comment:

Lori Van Hoesen said...

This is so cool, Ann. Wow is it going to be GOOD!