Wednesday, October 22, 2008

On Volunteering

When my term as Regional Co-Advisor of SCBWI-MI ended, I vowed to reduce the time I spent volunteering. I announced that I would still help out with my sons' activities. I'd endeavor to do my little jobs pretty well and never demonstrate a single organizational skill.

So far, it's working pretty well. This year's model is Jill of All Trades, Master of None. I wash band pants, serve football players breakfast and help out at Tae Kwon Do tournaments, but I will not be in charge. I achieve this by avoiding the planing meetings where they sign people up for the big jobs.

Many of the parents who devote their lives to these organizations also have full time jobs and families that are larger than mine, so I admit my attitude is unconscionably selfish.

So be it. I have a novel to finish.

No comments: