Saturday, May 18, 2013

Experimenting with Vines

Many years ago, I planted a pink climbing rose and a deep purple clematis together. In June, they cover their trellis with gorgeous blossoms. A few years back, a poison ivy vine joined the party, but I ignored the problem. 

Last fall, I decided to eradicate the poison ivy. I cut back the rose, so I could get to the poison ivy roots. When plants share a trellis, they rub against each other, and the rose thorns became coated with poison ivy toxin. Introducing poison ivy toxin under the skin is A Very Bad Idea. Trust me on this.  

This spring, the poison ivy is back. I decided to spray some Round Up on a piece of aluminum foil then dip a Q-tip in the Round Up and paint it some of the poison ivy leaves. (Simply spraying the poison ivy is likely to get all three plants.) The possible outcomes include: 
A) Nothing 
B) A few poison ivy leaves will wither, and the plant will remain robust. 
C) The poison ivy plant will die. Forever. 
D) The poison ivy, the clematis and the rose will all perish.

I’ll keep you posted.

1 comment:

Ann Finkelstein said...

After I finished this procedure, I washed my hands about five times with soap. Jeremy came in the kitchen and said, "Lady Macbeth?"

I'm going to miss that kid when he goes to Boston.