Saturday, March 6, 2010

Plotholes

Yesterday I found myself sitting in front of the computer, not typing, but massaging my temples. I was stalled at a dead stop. Not even the turn signal was blinking. On the screen, my protagonist was wishing he could go home. I realized I’d hit a plothole.

Plotholes occur when there is a breach of logic. The story has become inconsistent with the character’s personality or journey. The events don't make sense within the world of the novel.

I went for a walk, and after about a mile, I found a solution. I spent the walk home figuring out how to implement the idea. I was lucky, this time.

Sometimes it’s possible to steer around a plothole. Other times they can be patched. Occasionally it’s necessary to build a detour or even take another road. The trick is not to get stuck in them.

No comments: