Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The Dreaded Synopsis

For the past week or so, I’ve been struggling with the synopsis for TAoCBS. My attempts fell into the common pitfall of Way Too Much Detail. This morning a new approach succeeded.

1. Figure out the shape of your novel.
Is it a linear progression in which A causes B causes C? Does it have a branching tree shape, where one event sets several things in motion? Does it resemble a capillary bed with diverging and converging plot elements? Does it look like a funnel in which several seemingly disparate events coalesce at the climax?

2. Draw your novel.
Make brief notations about plot events and connect them with arrows. I like to use jagged-lined arrows for high-conflict. Remember the shape of your novel as your draw.

3. Decide which plotlines are essential for the synopsis.
It may not be possible to include every subplot in a one-page description.

4. Write the synopsis based on your diagram.
Think brief. Think essential.

5. Edit and cut.

1 comment:

TimInMich said...

Ann, I'm going to give that a try one of these days. I've copied and pasted it in a file that I will be able to find later.
Synopses are definitely something I dread. When I've had to write them for a critique at a SCBWI conference, I've put them off to the last minute. Perhaps your approach will give me more breathing room. Thanks for posting it.