Monday, February 23, 2009

Things I Should Have Realized a Long Time Ago - Part 3

On Saturday, Jeremy had a guitar recital. We were surprised to discover that Eric, a friend from Tae Kwon Do, was also performing with his band.

Tae Kwon Do behavior involves a lot of standing at attention, bowing, and saying, “Yes, Sir!” Eric is a soft-spoken teen who helps teach the Tiger Tots and the Junior classes. Eric and Sam have been sparring partners for years.


When we got home, I told Sam that Eric played lead guitar in a heavy metal band. He’d perfected all the rock star moves and was skilled and talented. Sam’s eyes popped open.

Eric has a secret life. Maybe some of my characters should too.

My new WIP has a character who needs to jump off the page. Should I make him a closet rocker or something equally outrageous?