Monday, May 12, 2008

Hodgepodge

On Reading

Lately, I haven't read a book that swept me away. I don't know if I'm cranky, or if my library-shelf-perusal-time has been rushed. I wanted to find a stellar book to review on Write Brainers. No luck, so far. I'll have to keep searching. (tough job, but somebody has to do it)

Paula Payton introduced me to a cool website for keeping track of books. Goodreads can be used to record and/or review books, or to hold book discussions with a group. I'm part of a book discussion group from SCBWI-MI, although, I'm not sure I'll take time to post additional opinions of our books of the month. The site does keep an orderly list of the books I've read. It also displays cover art which a simple Excel file wouldn't do.

On Writing

I haven't encountered a lightning moment, but I've enjoyed many small flashes of insight. Lightning bugs? I hope, someday, the total lumens will add up to a revised novel.

I'm about to pull up my socks and submit the first two chapters of my work-in-progress for a paid critique at the SCBWI-MI spring conference.

On Arithmetic

Paid critiques at conferences are awarded by lottery. Statistically speaking, the chances of me getting one are small. There are 8 slots for one-on-one critiques, and about 150 people will attend the conference. Here is where the math gets blurry. I don't know how many of the 150 would want a critique, and how many are ineligible because they received a critique at last fall's conference. Still, what do I have to lose?

No comments: