Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Desperately Seeking Electrons

Yesterday evening we had a power failure. The entire street lacked those incredibly useful misplaced electrons that power our electronic entertainment.

In December 2006, an ice storm knocked out power for a chilly 48 hours, so now my neighborhood knows what to do. Within an hour of the power failure, everybody had their gas-powered generator fired up and connected to their refrigerators and sump pumps.


We had time on our hands. My younger son brought his acoustic guitar down to the living room to play for us. Later I heard my older son giving my younger son advice on his upcoming year in high school. My husband and I sat on the front porch, smelling the crab apple blossoms, speculating when the peony buds would open, and listening to the generators.

Then the power came back.

Maybe we do this more often.

No comments: