Saturday, July 7, 2012

The Recording Studio

I had the opportunity earlier this week to visit a real, live recording studio. Jeremy’s band wants to record an EP, and my husband and I went along to help ask questions.

A recording studio could make a vivid setting. The studio was built with double walls, or “rooms within rooms” to minimize sound bleeding. The walls were modified with curtains, squares of fabric, strips of wood or hanging pillows to control echoes and enhance the blending of sound. There were microphones, computers, mixers and amplifiers. The lexicon included bass traps, equalizing, leveling, compressing, overdubbing and mastering.

One of my abandoned manuscripts, GEEK AND CAPTAIN BONZO STEEL, involves a recording studio, and I have to say, my depiction didn’t get enough things right. Computer research is fine, but it can’t beat actually seeing the place.

2 comments:

Wyman Stewart said...

I've heard of egg cartons being used as cheap sound-proofing, although I don't know the details.

When Elvis did Heartbreak Hotel, I hear he stood on a stairwell, because it gave the ideal echo effect they were looking for.

Accoustics in music has a fantastic history.

A creative field too many young people may overlook, I think.

Ann Finkelstein said...

Wyman: The man who owns the recording studio said he sometimes records in the hallway for that echo effect.

Acoustics are fascinating. Some auditoriums have dead spots where you can't hear what is being said on stage.

Recording technology seems to be offered at offered at only a few colleges, and sometimes this major is in the engineering department which tends to scare off the musicians.