Thursday, December 16, 2010

Why Do You Stop Reading a Book?

Almost every novel I start to read then reject* has the same flaw.

The protagonist doesn’t care about anything or anyone.

The novel may have a killer voice, and a beautifully twisted plot, but if the main character is devoid of passion, I don’t care about the book. Some people argue that the teenage experience is Brownian motion. (Actually, since they were English majors, they used a different term.) I’ve never met a teenager who cared about nothing. It may be buried too deep to see at first, but I have to believe it’s there. Even characters at the pit of depression need a flicker of hope to lead them out. If a protagonist is indifferent to everything, why write a book about him? After all, passion is the bottom line.

Why do you give up on a book?

*The exception to the rule is any book that has a vampire in it. Uh, uh. No way. I won’t read it.

5 comments:

Debbie Diesen said...

I give up if the book I'm reading fails to surprise me in some way. I want to be surprised by the character -- learning and liking him/her more along the way -- and I also want the plot to take turns I didn't count on.

I also stop reading a book if I fall asleep reading it.

TimInMich said...

Set-piece descriptive passages (especially if there are two or more metaphors) are just plain self indulgent. Just look-at-me-look-at-me. They sometimes stop me reading a book, but I usually skip over them. But if the book has a young first-person narrator, those descriptive passages are definitely a deal-breaker for me; they make the voice too inauthentic.

Ann Finkelstein said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ann Finkelstein said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
TimInMich said...

More stuff! I agree with you about an uncaring protagonist, and I have corollaries. The protagonist who was created only to be able to stitch together a bunch of cool action scenes, which the author (justifiably) calculates will make him a mint.
Cardboard characters, especially cardboard villains, are a huge turnoff.
But perhaps the biggest stopper for me is a big jump in the time-line of the story. I usually like the story line to cover no more than a year. That's a huge reason I prefer children's and young adult books -- there's usually not a long time-line (because, of course, they wouldn't be kids anymore).