Sunday, September 5, 2010

What’s the Story on the New Camera?

I’m making progress.

I know something about the automatic functions on my camera.

I’m trying to learn some basic photography concepts beyond, “Isn’t that pretty? Hang on while I point the camera at it.”

I can resize photos to a web-appropriate dpi. Don’t you hate it when you try to zip over to someone’s blog, and it won’t open or takes a few epochs to click into view? That can happen when picture files are too large.

I’ve learned I need a USB media card reader to load my photos on my computer. My new camera and my aging computer don’t play nicely together.

I’ve viewed the tip of the iceberg of photographic manipulation and realize that someday I’m going to have to learn a whole bunch more stuff.

I tried to go on a photo-shoot today at Sessions Lake and discovered you can’t see the water from the trail. I could hear swans paddling on the lake. I hope you can visualize graceful white birds on sparkling blue water, green leaves, puffy clouds because I couldn’t get close enough to the lake to take a picture without leaving the trail and trampling through the local flora.

In parting, here’s a butterfly – not a perfect photo, but it’s something.

2 comments:

Lori Van Hoesen said...

Looks pretty perfect to me.

TimInMich said...

That's kind of a drag that you need the card reader. At least they're not expensive. One site said, "A compact flash card reader is usually the choice of most photographers, since it doesn’t require you to waste battery life while importing photos." Lots of choices on Amazon.
How did you happen to pick Sessions Lake?
Ah, a butterfly on Buddleia, my new favorite flower. I saw four kinds of butterflies in a short time on the Buddleia at Saravilla. Or four flappy-wingy-thingies, since one was a cabbage moth.