Thursday, September 30, 2010

Planning Versus Plunging

Novel writers seem to fall into two categories: those who plan/outline/diagram their story before they start writing, and those who take a deep breath and plunge into their novel.

I’m a planner.

There. I said it.

My friends who are plungers explain they never make outlines because if they knew how the novel was going to turn out, they’d be too bored to finish it. That always makes me feel like a pedantic plodder – or at least someone who is easily entertained.

However …

When you wake up at 4:00 AM with the sure realization that the story in its present form DOES NOT WORK, it’s easier to modify a bunch of chapter notes than already-written, interlinked scenes.

Are you a planner or a plunger?

3 comments:

Lori Van Hoesen said...

As someone who has only ever finished writing one short novel, to proclaim I am a plunger seems, well, untested. Plunging means a lot more writing. A lot more scenes that never make it in the novel. Actually, I think most people are some combination of the two. I definitely need to work on the planning piece.

Jacqui said...

I am a plunger, but I always know the ending. Often, it's written before the middle. I kind of get bored of the story if I know all the answers.

Debbie Diesen said...

Since I'm not a planner, by default I guess I'm a plunger. I think that makes me equally capable of: a) bad first drafts; and b) unclogging drains.