Friday, April 2, 2010

Spring Peepers, Door Handles and Inertia

I posted on facebook that I’d heard the first spring peepers, and a friend replied, “Well, get out there and photograph them, and post the pictures.” I shall try. Frogs are less skittish than turtles and often wait for me to focus.

At Saturday’s critique group, I plan to unveil Chapter 1 of my new novel. As I tweaked words and sentences, that old song from HMS Pinafore popped into my head. “And I polished up the handle on the big front door.” A door handle just might work as a metaphor for a first chapter.

Although it feels like I’ve been working on this first draft forever, it’s only been two months. I’ve worried that if I slow my pace, I’ll never get going again. I can still hear my father’s voice defining inertia. “A body in motion tends to remain in motion. A body at rest tends to remain at rest, unless they are acted upon by an external force.” I’m trying to remain in motion.

No comments: