Monday, April 26, 2010

Self-Centered Saturday

I ignored the urgent email requests to help chaperone Jeremy’s high school band’s trip to the State Music Festival. (They got along fine without me.) I didn’t attend Sam’s promotional belt test at the Tae Kwon Do studio. (It was an intermediate-level test, not one of the biggies.) Instead I went to a book signing by Laura Resau.

Laura has been one of my favorite authors for some time now because I admire:
  • the rich, accuracy of the settings
  • the complexity of the characters
  • the beauty of the language
  • the opportunity to find out about other cultures
  • her knack for total-immersion storytelling
A few other writers, including Ruth McNally-Barshaw, attended the signing, and we had a terrific afternoon discussing the writing process and its many challenges. Not only that, I got signed copies of The Indigo Notebook and Star in The Forest.

Indulge yourself. Pick up some of Laura’s books, sit back and enjoy.

No comments: