Monday, December 14, 2009

Time

Lately, I’ve been thinking about the length of novels, not the number of words or pages, but the duration of the story. The Harry Potter novels run the course of a school year. Nick and Norah’s Infinite Play List spans one very long night. Clearly, different stories require different time frames.

I’ve started planning a new novel that occurs over spring break, and I’m enjoying the constraints of the time limit. Not only does my protagonist have to accomplish his elaborate goals in 9 days (one week plus the adjoining weekend), the background noise of the ticking clock adds another level of tension. If he fails to complete his task by Sunday, he either has to admit defeat or cut school, and cutting school will create enough havoc for another novel. My protagonist and I simply have to get the job done on time.

1 comment:

TimInMich said...

Ah, you're talking my language here. I like my stories concentrated. I rarely read a novel whose action takes more than a year. I certainly don't read epics or multi-generational books, e.g., Michener. My current project will cover five days. The squire story might cover two weeks. The Tayne story requires rather longer, but I will keep it under a year. Thrillers, of course, depend on a strict time limit/deadline. (Mine aren't thrillers.) Have fun with your project.