Thursday, June 5, 2014

Working Backward

This summer, I have been tutoring a student who wishes to retake the ACT. The quickest way to solve some of the math problems (for a student who has not taken advanced high school math) is to work backward from the answers. That’s right – trial and error on a timed test. 

What does this have to do with novel writing? Working backward may help with novel planning. 

Every novel has a similar structure. One of the easiest blueprints to follow is Blake Snyder’s Beat Sheet from Save the Cat. If I know, for example, that my character must make a choice at the beginning of Act 2, then I can put that into my outline, early in the planning stages. I don’t have to plan the novel in chronological order or figure out all of the events that influence or lead up to the decision. The next time I outline a novel, I’m going to fill in the bones first, then flesh it out. I may even begin with the “Dark Night of the Soul” and work toward the beginning.

3 comments:

Kristin Lenz said...

It sounds so simple, but I have the hardest time outlining and thinking of these major moments ahead of time. I seem to need to write first and figure it out as I go, then step back and outline. Maybe this is something that gets easier with practice - your brain starts to think that way.

Kim Van Sickler said...

It does make so much sense and Stephen King champions this method. For me to implement it will require more planning before I do any writing...which may be a good thing and end up saving time with rewrites later. My next book will be approached this way. And then I'll compare to my other books where I didn't know where I was going until I got there.

Ann Finkelstein said...

Kristin and Kim: Some writers are planners and some are plungers. I tend to belong to the first group. That's not to say I don't deviate from my plan ...