Wednesday, November 14, 2012

NaNoCutMo

It’s November, and several of my writing friends have been reporting word counts for NaNoWriMo on facebook and logging their progress online. As much as I applaud their efforts, this year, like every year, I just said no to NaNo. Somehow NaNoWriMo never fits with my writing schedule. Plus, I worry that if I tried to achieve 1667 words each day, I’d end up with nothing useful.

Last week, I cut 8,000 words (4 chapters) from my manuscript. It had to be done. The novel had veered in the wrong direction and become foundered in meaningless details. Now, it can be finished. One of my facebook friends suggested the term NaNoCutMo. That’s for me. Sometimes the closest exit is behind you.

1 comment:

Natalie Aguirre said...

I have to say no to NaNo too. Or anything else. With Anna Li's swim schedule, it limits what I can get done writing-wise. But that's okay.