Wednesday, July 7, 2010

The Writing Space

Usually, I plunk myself down in front of my huge computer desk in the bedroom and type away. This space is not glamorous or particularly neat. It doesn’t even have a convenient window, although one might argue the monitor is a window to my imagination.

Sometimes people from my writing group meet at a local bookstore cafĂ© to write. There is something about seeing other people working hard that makes me work hard. (Of course they are probably working hard because they think I’m working hard.)

Near the spot where yesterday’s squirrel was resting, we have a couple chairs and tables. It’s shady all day, birds sing, and breezes rustle leaves. I never write there. The laptop cord doesn’t reach, it’s hard to read the monitor in natural light, and there’s no place to put the mouse. I realize these problems have simple solutions. Still, that spot is better for reading than writing.

Where do you write?

1 comment:

TimInMich said...

I write in two places in this weather. One is the patio, where I usually handwrite, it being too bothersome to set up the laptop and all. I really gotta get a netbook.
The patio is very private -- the house on one side, of course, and a wooden wall on another. The other two sides have finally reached the vision I had for them -- solid walls of green. The big three greenies are Rose of Sharon bushes, overhung with Dutchman's pipe vine (Aristolochia) and rampant Virginia creeper. Throw in various flowers and treelets, and it is quite lovely.
I also write inside, in a corner of my bedroom dedicated to that. My wide (but not high) window looks out on another rampant green space. There's a wooden shed, the facing wall of which the Virginia creeper has nearly covered. Good thing it's a native plant.
So my writing spaces are fairly pleasant. But my next place will be better!
I've been meaning to reply; I thought I'd better before your entry disappeared into the archives.