Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Writing Exercise: Desire

A lot of writers hate writing exercises, so if you fall into that category, just click to the next blog in your Google reader. I find writing exercises most useful in the initial stages of writing because they help me get to know new characters. This is the exercise I brought to Write Night. We concentrated on first person point of view, although it would also work for third person narration.

1. Choose a character, and list his or her name, age, gender and time period. Also write something the character wants but does not or cannot have. Have your character describe what he or she wants. Include details and the reasons why your character wants it. Concentrate on voice.

2. Repeat with a different character who wants the same thing. Make sure the voice is different.

3. Write a scene in which the two characters interact about what they want. Choose one point of view, but make sure the personality of the other character shows.

1 comment:

TimInMich said...

Yep, it's me again. That was a good exercise. It got me in touch with a project that has been on hold for a year -- and makes me look forward to getting back to it when the current novel is done.
I very rarely do exercises at home, although I did do some of the ones in Maass' Breakout Novel workbook. At Write Night, it's a whole 'nother thing. I really like doing exercises there, though I'm usually slow to start. Perhaps it's the time pressure, peer support, or just the opportunity to read them to the others.