Friday, March 27, 2009

On Knitting and Writing

I once knew a woman who was a terrible knitter, but she had a wonderful sense of color and texture. She’d buy fabulous collections of yarns and create beautiful, striped blankets. When the blankets were washed, they’d fall apart because she’d dropped so many stitches.

As I understand it, there are two ways to repair dropped stitches.

1) A skilled needle-person can rescue the dropped stitch in with a crochet hook.
2) The knitter can rip out the knitting back to the mistake then knit it again.

By now the analogy to revising a novel must be obvious.

First drafts may be full of dropped stitches. The loose loops can either be crocheted back into the story or the manuscript can be rewritten.

Today I read all that I have of TAoCBS. I’m searching for a crochet hook.

Click here to see how to repair a dropped stitch.

No comments: