Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Why I Love Joan Bauer's Books


Peeled

by Joan Bauer

G.P. Putnam's Sons, 2008

Joan Bauer's characters are passionate about what they do, whether it is selling shoes, being a waitress or reporting for a school newspaper. Their passion makes them interesting. Some teenagers may feel their lives are little more than Brownian motion. But as a reader, I care most about characters who care deeply.

Self Analysis: Are the characters I create passionate?

Luke is the protagonist of G&G, the novel I am currently submitting. While Luke is foundering in school and alienating his family, he is determined to preserve the memory of his best friend, even if he needs to sacrifice other things to do so. Yes, Luke is passionate.

Lia is the protagonist of CBL, my work-in-progress. She is passionate about cooking and chemistry (which are really the same thing). She loves her friend and her family, but when it comes to boys, Lia is out to sea.

Assignment: Find five additional places to demonstrate Lia's passion.

1 comment:

Lori Van Hoesen said...

I just finished Darcy Pattison's revision book. Wow. Helpful because my own process is really a lack of process, totally intuitive, which is my problem. Applying some analysis really does highlight the problems and make them seem smaller than before. Good luck with passion! I'm going to start my own revisions soon. :o)