Tuesday, April 29, 2008

What Did I Gain?

On our writing retreat, I recaptured my peace of mind and envisioned an approach for revising my work-in-progress.

I need to remove one character (Ryan) and his associated subplot. The manuscript is a bit long, and this particular subplot distracts from the story. Losing a level of complexity grates on me. But, the manuscript will benefit. So far, this revision has been easy, but I don't delude myself. Ryan's subplot is concatenated to the main plot in the later chapters. Extracting it will require less of a hatchet and more of a surgeon's scalpel.


Goodbye, Ryan. I'll miss you.

2 comments:

Lori Van Hoesen said...

concatenated? Nice. . .had to look that one up, Miss Ann :o)

Ann Finkelstein said...

Concatenated is a term used in cloning and in computer programing. (I don't understand the computer use.) For cloning, sometimes lots of little pieces of DNA ligate to the ends of the piece of DNA you want - endless repetitions of junk. Often, you can cut off the garbage with special enzymes and purify the good stuff. So that's the metaphor.